I think digital scrapbooking is da-bomb! In David Letterman style, here are my top ten (plus a bonus):
10. Changing my mind (it’s my right as a woman). In the year or so that I did traditional scrapbooking I couldn’t change my mind without wasting. Wasting a photo that I cropped wrong or changing my mind about how much I wanted to crop. Or if I decided that another paper would go better with that layout but I had already glued stuff down on it. With digital you can change your mind without monetary repercussions or serious amounts of time spent changing things.
9. It’s easier to share with friends and family far and wide. Upload to flikr, facebook, your blog, or e-mail them.
8. It’s cheap. You can download lots of freebies, that makes it REALLY cheap. But you can also buy kits that are so much more economical than paper and elements.
7. You can alter kits. This could also be considered “cheap” (see #8), but it is more creative than that. If you have a kit that you love but the colors don’t quite go with your photos you can recolor the paper/elements to suit your needs.
6. Multiple prints of the same layout. I have printed certain layout for my albums but then reprinted them for the kids albums. You can also print different sizes. I print 12 x 12 for certain albums of mine but 8 x 8 for the kids.
5. If you have a laptop (which I finally do) you can easily take your scrapbooking with you. No more packing things up, just to realize you forgot something important at home.
4. You can re-use the same paper over and over and over again. (again this is an extension of #8).
3. Easy clean up. This is an extension of the save button (see #2). I don’t need to put things away. Unless you have gobs of files open, but still all you have to do is close your program and it will close the files for you. And if even if you can’t close all your files THIS SECOND – it doesn’t impede the use of your kitchen table or the spare room or where ever you have your scrapbook supplies spread out.
2. “Save.” Wow. This might be key for me. If I’m scrapping and my kids need me or my husband needs the computer or any of the numerous things that can possibly come up – do, well, I just hit the save button and I am done.
And the Number reason why I like digital scrapbooking….
NO Mess. No glue, no stickers, no stacks of paper, no embossing powder spills…..
This picture is from several years ago when my daughter (then 2) got into my supplies and dumped out all the embossing powders and then dipped the mini ink pads and glue sticks into the powder. My husband thought I might be mad. I think I might have been but what could I do – I just laughed and told her that she wasn’t allowed to play with that stuff and then hugged her. Supplies used (up) were: 11jars of embossing powder, 12 colorbox pigment inks and 1 jar or pearlex powder.
BONUS: I also like digiscrap because it can be faster. I average about an hour per layout unless I am making my own paper.
Well there you go. I’d love to hear your reasons for digital scrapbooking or for traditional scrapbooking for that matter.